User activities at the top of the map can be linked to work items in TFS.
Linking with Drag&Drop
To assign a work item to a user activity with drag&drop:
- Locate the desired work item in the list on the left. Click on Stories/Epics/Features to restrict the entries in the list to items of that type. Enter text in the text box to filter your work items further.
- Once you have identified the work item you want, drag it to the desired column header on the story map:
- Release the mouse button. The user activity is linked to the work item, as you can see on the map and in the user activity's details:
Linking a Work Item Manually
To link a user activity to a work item manually:
- Click on the name of an existing slice in the row header:
- The user activity is displayed.
- Enter the ID of the work item you want to link the user activity to from the Link Work item field:
Note: A warning is displayed if you try an link to a work item in another team project.
Behaviour when Removing Stories from a User Activity
You can determine what should happen with the parent-child link when a user story is removed from a column that is linked to a user activity. To do so:
- Open the user activity.
- Use the drop-down list under Default on removed items to determine what should happen to the linked user stories in this column if they are removed from the map.
The following options are available:
- Delete Link: Removes the link to the parent work item from the user story when the story is removed from the map.
- Don't Change Link (default): Retains the link to the parent work item when the story is removed from the map.
- Replace Link: Allows you to choose a work item that should be entered as the parent when removing the story.
Note: If you move a user story from one column to another column where the parent user activity is linked to a work item, the user story's parent is set to the work item entered in the user activity.
- Click on Save&Close to save your changes.