Now that you have a first slice, you can begin adding user stories to the story map for each activity. There are two ways of adding user stories:
- Drag an existing item from your product backlog to the story map.
- Use the plus icon in a cell to add a new story.
Note: Dragging work items to the map is unsupported in Edge/IE. We recommend using a different browser.
Dragging Work Items
- A list of the work items available in your backlog is displayed on the left of the screen (if this area is hidden, click on the arrow above Backlog explorer to display your backlog).
Work items that have already been added to the map are not displayed and cannot be added to the story map again.
- Click on Stories/Epics/Features to restrict the entries in the list to items of that type. Enter text in the text box to filter your work items further:
- Once you have identified the work item you want, drag it to the desired cell on the story map:
The target position is indicated in blue.
- Release the mouse button to drop the item at the desired position. The story’s parent is automatically set to the work item entered in the column header, as you can see in your backlog:
Adding a new story
To add a new story to your product backlog and the story map:
- Click on the plus icon in the desired cell:
- Enter the user story’s data and save.
- The story’s parent is automatically set to the work item entered in the column header, as you can see in your backlog: