Before you can add your user stories to the map, you need to have at least one slice. Slices can be linked to iteration paths in TFS.
To add a new slice:
- Click on the plus icon indicated by the Click to add a new slice hint.
- Enter a name for your slice in the text box at the top.
- Select the iteration path that this slice represents from the Link to an Iteration drop-down menu. User stories (work items) mapped to this slice are automatically are automatically added to the selected iteration.
- Enter a description for the slice.
- Click on Save and close.
- A new horizontal slice is added to the story map:
- Add additional slices to prioritize your user stories as needed and assign them to iterations.
You can merge and split slices as needed. For more details, see Working with Slices.